Saturday, November 26, 2005

What is DIY Music and Ethics in Morgantown?

"How do I get my favorite band to come to 123?"

"I want to play as many shows as possible... but how do you get shows out of town?"

"Hey, can you get me a show at 123?"

"Gee, nobody ever shows up to my band's shows. It's like nobody cares about independent music in this town."

Maybe it's because I've been listening to too much Bikini Kill lately or maybe it's because I've answered these questions over and over on a monthly basis but I've been inspired to write it all down and hopefully others will contribute for the purpose of helping each other so that the process of trial and error doesn't have to keep continuing.

So, I Double Dare Yah to ask questions, answer questions, keep each other updated on new places to post fliers, play shows, and anything else that could possibly make this town a better place for art, music, and expression in general. We all know West Virginia can use all it can get.

You don't need a mohawk to do it yourself.


Image taken from Amy Spencer's highly recommended DIY: the rise of lo-fi culture. You can order the book from AK Press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home